CHEV REBUILT ENGINE WON'T START

Chevrolet Truck

I just installed a rebuilt engine in a 92 Chev, 1 ton, 5.7L. It ran good but burned a lot of oil. The engine rebuilder confirmed it was the rings. This has a throttle body & a distributor with electronic spark advance. I aligned the distributor rotor by turning the engine while watching the #1 intake valve close then another 1/2 turn to TDC. I then installed the distributor and aligned #1 wire with the rotor. I set the timing w/timing light while cranking the engine per direction on the emission label. The timing should be set with the enging running but I can't get that far. The injectors are delivering fuel. I get sputtering and backfiring but it will not run. I have tripple checked the plug wires & firing order. Any ideas?
Bob12

Reading it-did you disconnect the EST wire prior to timing it.

Yes I did disconnect the EST wire before setting the timing.

Bob12
Do the valve timing again-remove no.1plug bump engine over till you feel compression on finger or the compression gauge-stop, turn crank till it lines up on TDC at the scale-remove distributor cap-the rotor should be pointing directly to no, 1 plug tower-if not remove the hold down bolt, lift the dist. Turn the rotor to point to the no.1 cap tower-now set dist. Down making sure its seated and rotor pointing to no.1 tower.

BTW do you have ignition spark

If the engine has a cam position sensor, a cam-driven distributor or an ignition pickup that triggers off the cam drive, you also won't find any spark.