99 TAHOE SPUTTER & STALL (SOLVED!!!!!)

1999 Chevrolet Truck

1999 Chevy Tahoe with 87K miles. Bought it used with 59K miles and it started stalling within 2 months. It usually seems to happen as the car is warming up, but has happened after 2 hours of continuous driving as well. It is so random, it is really hard to narrow down. It may not stall for 3 months, then 1 week straight it stalls everyday. It can happen when accelerating or running a constant speed. It will act up in warm or cold weather. The RPM's usually sputter for about 10 seconds, then it may drive normal or it will completely stall. I have had the fuel filter, spark plugs and wires, dist. Cap and rotor replaced. Dealership said there are no error codes and the fuel pressure is fine. Please help, for I feel I'm chasing a ghost.

So I put new catalytic converters in on 4/3/06. Check engine light has not come on and it's running great. Old converters were hollowed out, had holes in them, and the guts were found plugging up the muffler.

Question is, how could they have gotten so bad after only 80K+ miles? Should I be worried that this may happen again soon? Can you check the gas/air mix, even though the check engine light isn't on?
Naterzr2

Although the fuel pressure tests fine, more than likely, your fuel pump is failing. If possible check for fuel pressure when your car stalls and/or will not start.

2CarPro Bob
The mechanic said that the fuel pump can actually be intermittent, which was a surprise to me. I thought they either worked or not. I took it to the shop during the week becasue it started sputtering again, and they couldn't find anything wrong and as soon as I drove it off the lot, the damn 'service engine soon' light came on. I dropped it off over the weekend AGAIN, so we'll see what shows up.

Appreciate the feedback.

Naterzr2
Mechanic said that it was code P0420.

Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold (Bank 1)

Can this mean a blockage? Would that cause a back flow of air to the engine and cause the random stalling?

Naterzr2
Here is the latest update: After getting new catalytic converters put in and a new muffler, car worked great. Then a week later, drove it for 245 miles and it sputtered 5-6 times down the highway at 75 mph, and backfired hard. Check engine light came on. Took it to a different dealership this time. They said it was a catalytic converter code again. They did notice that the distributor drive gear was pretty worn. Got that replaced. Worked fine for a day. Now it stalls after I put it into gear. Once driving, seems fine, only after I start it up and put it into gear it stalls.

I'm about ready to give up and cram this Tahoe up GM's ass.

Naterzr2
Try cleaning out the air intake on the throttle body and as far in as you can reach. Lots of crud bulids up after time.

I just recently had a problem with my 92 Cavalier sputtering and stalling and then stalling once put into gear.

Cavalier
FINALLY SOLVED.

CRANKSHAFT POSITION SENSOR.

Naterzr2