99 CHEVY TAHOE SPORT 4WD 5.7 NOISY FUEL PUMP HOWLS

1999 Chevrolet Truck

: 1999 Chevy Tahoe 2DR 4WD 5.7 Purchased recently with 113,000 miles. Fuel pump noise or howling noise coming from the rear at idle and in gear. Fairly loud. Noise stops about 10 seconds after ignition is off. Vehicle starts and runs fine. Fuel filter has been changed. Is this noise indicative of a failing fuel pump? I have a fuel pump repair kit AC/MU148 on the way. I've replaced a couple of fuel pumps on a 94 Chevy PU in the past but the problems there were obvious -- wouldn't start -- no noise. Please advise. Thanks!
Tad54

Hi,
This is quite normal for chevy fuel pumps to howl in the manner you are describing. It does not mean your fuel pump is going out. I have a 99 thats been doing the same thing forever.

I suggest you live with it if you can.

I also want to add that dealers suggest keeping your fuel tank over half full at all times to keep the pump from going bad.

Jgs