96 CHEVY SILVERADO OIL FILTER HOUSING BASIC QUESTION

1996 Chevrolet Truck

I have a small leak coming from this area. This is a 4x4 truck with factory oil cooler. Looks like two bolts holds the housing on. I bout a kit from the dealer with a gasket and one large o ring. Questions are:

Oil cooler lines- is there a seal where they attach to the housing?

Do these oil cooler lines just unscrew? What size are they so I dont round off.

Can I remove them without remmoving the front driveshaft?

I appreciate any help!
Stryped

Which engine do you have?

Mikeybdman
Which engine do you have?[/Quote: f0fb52519e]

350 5.7 land an automatic.

Stryped
Which engine do you have?[/Quote: f3e8531b10]

350 5.7 land an automatic.[/Quote: f3e8531b10]

Looks like you have either quick Disconnect fittings or flared fittings. If you have quick disconnects, you have to remove them only one way.
Pull plastic cap back down the line about 2 inches.
Using abent tip screw driver, pull on one of the ends of the retaining ring to rotate the ring around the fitting until it is out of position and can be removed.
Pull the coller line straight out of the fitting.
To install: After inserting cooler line in fitting, hook one end of the ring in one of the slots of the fitting. Rotate the ring around the fitting until ring is positioned with all 3 ears through the slots.
Do Not install the ring by pressing it down over the fitting.
Always use new rings and caps when installing fittings.
Hope this helps

Mikeybdman
How can I tell which one I have? Just looking at it it looks like a metal nut on there that would be turned by a wrench.

Also, do these lines have some sort of seal in them?

Also, does the oil cooler lines have to be removed to replace the filter housing gasket and o ring?

Stryped
IF your lines just have metal flared fittings, then dont worry about the quick disconnect ones.
Here is how you replace the Oil filter housing.

REMOVAL
Remove the oil filter.
Remove the oil cooler lines.
Remove the bolts.
Remove the oil filter adapter.
Remove the gasket and seal.

INSTALLATION
Install the oil filter adapter gasket.
Install the oil filter adapter.
Install the bolts.
Tighten the bolts to 20 Nm (18 ft. Lbs.).
Install the oil cooler lines.
Install the oil filter.
Install the engine oil, as needed.

When you remove the cooler lines, you will just need to unscrew the flared nuts. On the housing itself you will probably find that the cooler lines have removable fittings that have o-rings under them. After you have the housing out, you can remove the fittings and replace the o-rings. There is a gasket above the housing that needs to be replaced. If this is where you have a leak, then I would replace all of the seals, and be sure to inspect the fittings and housing for cracks.

Mikeybdman
The dealer said I have the fittings you were talking about but I am having trouble understanding how they come apart. Is there a picture somewhere on the web? Also, the o rings are in some kind of fitting actually on the housing itself and are 10 bucks a piece (need 2). Is there another place to get these?

Sorry for all the questions.

Stryped
Well, most auto parts stores will have o-ring kits where you match up the o-rings from a kit. However, if they are specific seals that cant be matched up, you will have to use the dealers seals.
I cant find a good photo of the fittings, but if you remove the two lines, and then remove the attach botls, when you have the housing in hand, you will see that the fittings just screw right out.

Mikeybdman