SILVERADO 2500HD REAR AXLE REMOVAL

2002 Chevrolet Truck

I have a 2002 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Extended Cab Short Bed 2 Wheel Drive with an 8.1 Liter V8 and an Allison 5-Speed Transmission. Mileage: 68,000. I need to change the right rear axle seal as it is leaking. I have the Chilton manual and was following their instructions. When I removed the Hub cover on the wheel I found that the axle end is completely different than they picture. It has 8 3/4" bolts around the axle end. Do I still need to open the rear end cover with this type of axle? Can you tell me where I can find detailed instructions for this procedue?
When I bought the seals the Chevy dealer said it was an 11 1/2 inch rear end and the axle number was AY8. Hope this is enough info.

Daymike

Nope. If you remove those bolts the axle will pull out of the rear end and you will then see the retaining nut for the hub assembly. Once that is removed the seal you are looking for is in the back of the hub assembly

Jack42