CHEVY FUEL SYSTEM

2002 Chevrolet Truck

2002 Chevy Truck 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 143k miles

on my truck ive been having some fuel line problems today the truck just died, it will crank but will not run. It dies right after cranking.I replaced the fuel filter and still having the same issues. Not sure if maybe the pump is bad or if maybe the fuel line is gunked up
Tbell2989

2002 Chevy Truck fuel system

Check the fuel pressure with a gauge to rule out the fuel pump and also check for injection pulses. If both okay look for spark

I did try the fuel gauge. And I belive it has to be the fuel pump. The pressure never got above about 20psi I know that while running it should be at about 55 or so. So I have taken the bed off the truck since I dont feel like dropping the tank. Now its all about getting the money to buy a new pump. Is it possible that it could be the filter on the pump?

Tbell2989
Could be but you still have to open it up and investigate for blockage

Alright. One more question. If it is the pump. Or even blockage in the filter. Can I just clean the filter? Or if not can I buy just a filter instead of an entire fuel pump?

Tbell2989
You need to check the fuel pressure to rule out the fuel pump

I did check the pressure. It never moved above 20psi. Even with the truck running.I was able to keep it running long enough with starter fluid being sprayed into the carberatour -sp?- My truck should run at about 55psi when cranked and running. So seeing that it never moved above 20psi I think I can safely say that it IS the pump. Ive already removed the bed of the truck and have the fuel pump assembly exposed. Just have to take it apart and see what I can see. But what I wanna know. The pump is only 7yrs old and I wanna know if there is a filter ON the pump and if so. And its blocked. Can I replace just the filter an not the entire pump. The fuel filter itself has been changed and was not blocked to begin with so

Tbell2989
If it has a filter replace that too might last another 7 yrs or more.