CHEVY STARTER NOT MESH W FLYWHEEL (POST DMF SWAP

1993 Chevrolet Truck

1993 Chevy Truck V8 Four Wheel Drive Manual 186000 miles

Last Week my mechanic swapped old DMF ( thought it was toast, Clicking sounded like broken spring, worsening at disengaging, making shifting harder) New OEM solid flywheel, PP and Disc kit was installed and starter grinds, will not turn. (New Solid Fly was checked before install and appeared to be a good match w Old DMF. Dealer was called after grinding, and part # on box was good. However, There was a painted # on OEM Flywheel that did NOT match anything GM dealer had, this may not mean anything?) On exam, looks like~.004-.005 from touching flywheel. (Few days ago, thanks to tip from this site, I asked mechanic to get shim kit. That did not work at all as it shims starter further down, away from flywheel. Do we get starter decked (ground)down to mesh w flywheel? My mechanic suggests replace old DMF, clutch( Clicking was bolt backed out of PP, and Bad Hyd Clydrs caused bad shift) He may pull trans, block up engine and have someone tickle starter to see why it's doing this. Has anyone had this trouble? Dave
Diesel4america

If you have the original starter in it and it wont work, that is the wrong flywheel, regardless of the part #'s on the box. Look up the starter and see if there is a side note for the solid flywheel (HD application), might have a different part # for it, easier than changing out the flywheel and clutch again

Jack42