CHEVY HOW TO REMOVE A IGNITION SWITCH FROM A 89

1989 Chevrolet Truck

1989 Chevy Truck 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 200, 00 miles

need to replace ignition switch on my 89 chevy truck I broke my key off in it and I need a need a new one
Manual06

Ignition lock cylinder needs removed. To do so, perform following operations.

Remove the steering wheel.
Remove the turn signal switch. It is not necessary to completely remove the switch from the column. Pull the switch rearward far enough to slip it over the end of the shaft, but do not pull the harness out of the column.
Turn the lock to Run.
If necessary, remove the ignition key.
If equipped, remove the buzzer switch assembly.
Remove the lock retaining screw and remove the lock cylinder.

Rotate the key to the stop while holding onto the cylinder.
Push the lock all the way in.
Install the screw. Tighten the screw to 40 inch lbs. (5 Nm) for regular columns, 22 inch lbs. (2.5 Nm) for tilt columns.
Install the turn signal switch and the steering wheel.

Thanks for using 2CarPros. Com!

He is correct but he is talking about the ignition switch, you are talking about the ignition lock cylinder. You will have to disassemble part of the steering coloumn. If youdont have a gm lock plate remover you will want to rent 1. If you need instructions on how to do it let me know and I will walk you through it.

Bowtie Baby
Sorry about that, I edited above post to removing lock clyinder, not switch. Thanks Bowtie Baby.

Thanks for using 2CarPros. Com!

No problem, I worked in parts for a long time and many people mistake the two of them. Good luck, let me know if you need more info. The car pro guy is correct but he left out the lock plate removal, you have to compress the plate and spring then remove the retaining clip.

Bowtie Baby