CHEVY PICK-UP

1986 Chevrolet Truck

Have a 1986 c-10 with a 292 engine. Won't start.
lined the timeing mark with " 0" and #1 piston up when checking rotor position at #1 plug I find it between #1 and next plug. Which means my points are closed when they should be open. What could cause this? Shouldn't rotor be pointing at #1(note: this is a replacement engine and distributor is from original engine which was smaller one)
Msholl

I'm not an expert but just one thought. You say #1 piston is up, are you sure it is on the power stroke and not exhaust stroke? Even though the piston is up the exhaust valve may be open to expell the burned combustion gases. This would cause the distributor not to be pointing toward #1 plug. Good Luck

Harborc
That would be 180 out.

Remove #1 plug put a finger in the hole to seal rotate till it blows your finger out that should be top dead center fire on #1 your timming mark on the crank should be neer 0 back up just a little to about 6-8 degrees before tdc pull your cap it shoul be right at #1 plug wire tower. Also if the dist. Is out of a smaller motor. The fly wieghts and/or the vacum advance won't be right for performance. Good luck : wink: : wink:

Palco