CHEVY STARTER KEEPS RUNNING

1973 Chevrolet Truck

1973 Chevy Truck V8 Two Wheel Drive Automatic

truck would not shut off when shutting key off, replaced key switch then when starting truck starter would not stop running, found lead to selenoid melted in half at exhaust manifold replaced wire still starter would not stop running, replaced ignition swith and key switch still keeps running, checked selenoid and it is good, now when I remove the battery lead and then reinstall battery lead everything ok until I try to start the truck then the starter keeps running have to remove battery lead to stop it.
Gwbufallo

If you changed the switch, the electrical part the harness plugs into and you still have the problem, then the starter is no good, or the purple wire from the switch to the starter is being powered somehow.(Never saw this) Just because the solenoid checks good, doesn't mean the windings in the starter are ok. While it's cranking cut that purple wire, if it keeps cranking the starter is bad if it stops the ignition switch is bad. Re connect the cut wire after repair is made.

Merlin2021
Hi gwbufallo, Welcome to 2carpros and TY for the donation

Its either the solenoid is grounded or your wiring to the switch the purple wire which the start circuit control is shorted to the power input to the switch test the wiring -this the only way for it to happen BTDT a lot of times with Chevy's