CHEVY HESITATING, NON START & STALLING

2002 Chevrolet Trailblazer

2002 Chevy Trailblazer 6 cyl Four Wheel Drive Automatic 98,000 miles

I recently replaced a fuel pump and level sensor due to the engine hesitating, stalling accasionally and sometimes not starting after refueling. Was in the bad habit of running the fuel tank dry which may have damaged the fuel pump (or so I was told) and I surmised may have caused sediment & water in the bottom to be sucked into the fuel line system. The new fuel pump did not resolve the problem as it still sporadically hesitates, has stalled once and has not immediately started after refueling twice. Do you have a suggestion to eliminate problems and would gas additive like Gumout clean the fuel system/injector ports and eliminate the problem? Help !
TomLangsdon

Hi Tom,

First, did you change the Fuel Filter when you done the Pump? If not I would do that and also try some fuel system cleaner. I know I am supposed to be bias as to recomendations and all but I have found two products that I use regularly and I alternate between them. One is LUCAS and the other is called SeaFoam they both clean the whole system.

You could also have a Vapor Lock in the system.

Also is you engine light on?

.

Obxautomedic
The fuel filter was replaced. However, the engine light was on due to a sensor needing replacement (oxygen?) But not sure if still on as I do not have the car here to drive. My daughter drives it. I appreciate the tip on using Lucas or Sea Foam and will see about using in the future. Are the names brand names or product names? And will any store have these products?

Tom

TomLangsdon
How does one go about fixing a vapor lock?

TomLangsdon
As far as the possibility of vapor lock check the routing of you fuel lines and see if they have a heat shield on them. If not you can use a larger diameter hose split to rap around the fuel lines. Also you will want to check your fuel pressure. Low pressure with excessive heat will cause a vapor lock. Granted most mechanics will probably tell you vapor locks are not possible with Fuel Injection and they are right to a point. Vehicles with return lines will not vapor lock because the fuel is continually be circulated. However, in vehicles that don't have return lines as yours I believe is can vapor lock. I have come across about 3 vehicles that had vapor lock problems in the past 10 years, so as you can see it doesn't happen often but it does.

Also, if you have been running the tank dry and the engine shuts off, you could also damage the injectors.

You also said you weren't sure if engine light was on or not. Find out and if it is have codes pulled. Post the here.

Yes the Lucas and Seafoam are name brands. You may need to check your local parts stores, I know NAPA carries them both, at least the ones here were I live.

.

Obxautomedic