99 TRANSFER CASE

1999 Chevrolet Tahoe

My Wife's Tahoe has been acting up lately. Its making a weird noise at lower speeds almost like a grinding, and she says that one day it went in to 4 wheel drive on its own. The car place she took it too didnt know what to tell her, they drove it, put it on the lift, its not leaking, but still making the noise. They said to replace the transfer case, but im not sure I agree. It has 120,000 miles, and the 4 wheel drive hardly gets used. Its a 4 door, push button 4 wheel drive. I would love to help her and tear into it, but im deployed over seas. Thanks for the help.
Helojumper810

My 1999 2dr Tahoe LT is in the shop at this moment with the same problem.
The trouble has been traced to a faulty selector motor on the transfer case itself.
The selector is not moving far enough to engage the 4x4 and is making a horible grinding noise.

8052royc
If it is auto 4WD, it could have a damaged clutch pack. This can be a result of driving in auto 4WD all the time.I would drain the fluid and make sure it is clean. If it's nasty, I recommend disassembly for inspection. It should only take a couple of hours.

Dennyp