'99 SUBURBAN - WON'T START - CRANKS BUT WON'T FIRE

1999 Chevrolet Tahoe

Hello.
Not sure if this is a catalytic converter problem -- our serivce engine light came on at one time, dealership said it was the converter -- husband said its not necessary to change it. So we didn't. Now, 4 months later -- it won't start - it will crank and crank but won't fire. After a while, husband pumped the accelerator and finally it did fire -- fuel must not be getting there? Once it was started, when you press on the accelerator, you can hear it bog down then rev up.? Not sure if it's a fuel filter, or maybe injector problem -- or if we really do need to the the converter fixed.? Any ideas?
Tlselby

90% chance it is the ignition module. It is inside the distributer and is easy to change. High failure in your model year. Good luck

Losone
We tried the fuel filter and the ignition module -- to no avail. Any other ideas?

Tlselby
I would do a static timing check to see if the plastic gears on the timing gear haven't moved a notch or so.

Pull #1 plug. Hand move the engine to TDC with a screwdriver touching the piston and check that the timing mark is TDC. Check that the rotor points to number 1 cyl. I have seen the exact symptons with a bad timing gear and chain. #1 is the bank that sticks out the farthest. Good Luck

Losone
When you get the engine running put your hand near the exhaust and have someone rev the engine. If it blows your hand away its not your cat converter. If it blows on your hand like a hair dryer, its your converter. CHANGE IT. If you dont it could lead to more serious problems.
Been there, done that.

Joeybotts