CHEVY COST TO REBULID A TRANSMISSION

2003 Chevrolet Tahoe

2003 Chevy Tahoe Four Wheel Drive Automatic 150000 miles

My mechanic thinks (not sure yet) that my Tahoe needs its transmission rebuilt. Diagnostic tests did not show anything, leading him to believe it is a mechanical problem (gears?). How much should this cost, approximately? Is it worth getting a second opinion? (I reasonably trust this guy, but maybe he's wrong or his price is high?) Also, what caused this problem in a car just 7 or 8 years old?
Epalinurus

Hello and thanks fro donating

Although your car is only 7 years old, you stated it has 150,000 miles. That is a lot of miles for an automatic transmission. Manual trannys last much longer than autos as there are much more to them that can fail. The only preventative maintenance you could to for the auto tranny is replacing the fluid and filter on a regular basis. It really depends on what exactly is being replaced in the tranny to rebuild it as far as pricing, but most tranny rebuilds for this year tahoe runs around the $800 in labor fees.

Bluelightnin6
To rebuild the 2003 Tahoe transmission. I live in the Northern Virginia area. Is that reasonable? Should I get a second opinion? And do you make referrals of reputable, reasonable people in the area? I do know it is pretty bad, since we can't get the car to go faster than 20 or 30 mph.

Epalinurus
The message I posted cut off the subject line. They are quoting me about $2500 to rebuild the transmission in No. Virginia. Reasonable? Second opinion needed? Referrals of reputable repair shops? Thanks a million.

Epalinurus
I don't believe any of our techs live in that area, but we have great tips on how to avoid veing ripped off on repairs. A second opinion never hurts, so you could also take it to a different shop, specifically a transmission only shop instead of general shop, and see what they say. Follow the link below to read up on avoiding car repair rip offs..

http://www.2carpros.com/kpages/avoid_car_repair_rip_off.htm

Bluelightnin6
Sorry I missed that part.$2,500 for rebuilding the tranny seems very overpriced. A new transmission for your vehicle would only run around $2,000 and labor fees shouldn't be more than $450 - $500. If you could have a brand new transmission installed for $3,000 or less there is no way $2,500 is a good deal just to rebuild the old tranny. Definitely take to a different shop and ask for an estimate on getting it rebuilt.

Bluelightnin6