CHEVY "CHIRPING" NOISE

2000 Chevrolet Tahoe

2000 Chevy Tahoe V8 Four Wheel Drive Automatic 110000 miles

I have a 2000 old body style Tahoe Z71; 5.7 with the automatic tranny. Recently, there has been a " Chirping" noise coming from, what seems to be, the front of the vehicle. I took it to a local mechanic and he stated that the u-joints were bad. Replaced the u-jpints and the problem still exists. From a dead stop, if I give it reasonable gas pedal, it " chrips" 2-4 times (kind of sounds like a faint horn beeping) and goes away once I get rolling. If I SLOWLY accel from a dead stop I can keep it from making that noise; it does not make the noise while I am moving and give it gas. The tranny was serviced to see if it would cure the problem and it did not; the mech stated that there was good pressure in the tranny @ 20 psi. When this thing " chirps" it almost feels as if something is slightly slipping during the acceleration even though it is quick and hardly noticeable. Any ideas? Torque converter going bad? Good u-joints bad? Thanks!
Deltaromeo

It sounds like u joint issue to me. Did he replace both u joints in the rear drive shaft? Did he grease them? Sometimes the new joints dont come with grease fittings and they could be dry.

Mastertechtim
The tech replaced both rear shaft u-joints. I am taking it back tomorrow to have them look at it again. Quite possibly, he forgot to grease them.

Deltaromeo
Also tell him to recheck the fluid level in the transfer case. A small amount of fluid leaks out when the drive shaft is removed and rarely is the transfer case topped off after the job is done and it is very important that the level is at the top.

Mastertechtim
Great! Many thanks! What would be the recommended transfer case fluid for my model? Just to ensure he is correct in his offering. Weight? Type?

Deltaromeo
It takes regular dextron 3 transmission fluid. If it was my truck and you havent done yet. I would have him drain the transfer case and refill it completely. It only takes a few minutes and it will pay off for you in the long run. It will take about 3 quarts of trans fluid and take him about 10 minutes to do.

Mastertechtim
Great! Thanks!

Deltaromeo