CHEVY A/C STOOPED WORKING

2004 Chevrolet Suburban

Air Conditioning problem
2004 Chevy Suburban V8 Four Wheel Drive Automatic 77000 miles

i have a 2004 chevy 1500 chevy suburban with front and rear a/c, htey both stopped working. It blows warm air. The compresor kicks on from time to time. My question is am going to drain the refrigerant and re fill it. How much refrigerant does it take an what pressure should the a/c gauges read when full.
Wez1585

To take the last question first, the system pressures are dependent on the ambient temperature and the humidity, the higher those are the higher the pressures will be. If there is a refrigerant leak, you might be able to see where it is by the oil residue at the site of the leak. Either way the system will best be served by purging the system and then evacuating it. The system capacity will be represented on an under hood sticker. The system pressures for high and low sides on an 80 degree day might be 225 high and 50 low. I always use an ultra-violet dye when recharging any system, it makes it easier to find leaks.

Dr. Hagerty