CHEVY COOLANT LEAK ON FRONT SIDE OF MOTOR

2000 Chevrolet Suburban

Engine Cooling problem
2000 Chevy Suburban V8 Four Wheel Drive Automatic 155000 miles

For the past few months, I have smelt a coolant leak on my suburban. No puddles anywhere though. The low coolant sensor seems to be quite sensitive, so when the overflow tank gets a bit low, the low coolant light comes on and I add a pint or so of collant. While completing an oil change yesterday (no water in the coolant.), I noticed a few orgae droplets on the underside and then pulled off the front plastic mud shield (6 bolts) that keeps rocks etc away for the belts. From there I would see dark streaks on the engine blcok coming down from teh water pump area.

I am wondering if I need a new water pump + gaskets. Or maybe just new gaskets.
89sigo

Have a pressure test done, this will reveal the weak part(s). You can rent one at autozone, and get the fee back when the tester is returned.

Merlin2021
OK, good idea on the pressure tester. Should I test when cold, hot, or both?

I would expect a pressure drop, knowing I have a leak.

Should I expect to see coolant seeping out? Bubbling out?

89sigo
Test cold! No burns that way! It will probably stream out under pressure!

Merlin2021
OK, got the tester. For my suburban, where do I attach the pressure tester to?

89sigo
Look on the radiator for a radiator cap, if it has one remove it and twist the tester on, then twist the lock on the tester so the tabs line up, then pump it it the rating on the radiator cap, probably 16 psi.
If no cap on radiaitor, look on the plastic tank(recovery bottle), remove the cap, and it may require an adapter for GM to attach the tester.

Merlin2021