CHEVY REAR NOISE

1999 Chevrolet Suburban

Other Category problem
1999 Chevy Suburban V8 Four Wheel Drive Automatic 125000 miles

I have a 99 Chevy Suburban 350/4x4/5.7 and a few weeks ago I heard this clunking/clanking noise in the rear by the differential of my Suburban and then about a week later I noticed that when I stop my car it makes a subtle clank/clunk in the front. I know there are 2 U-Joints the (tail which is in front and rear end) Do I need to replace the tail u-joint also?. I took it to my mechanic and he test drove it, he said the U-Joints need to be replaced and it would cost $200. Now, I know the part costs about $25 the most. I usually work on my truck myself but I dont have a car lift to see exactly where the U-Joints are and I dont know what tools to use? Can anyone help me and tell me where the u-joints are located so I can fix my baby myself since I dont like anyone touching my car? Thank you.
99 Suburban

The u joints are located at each end of hte drive shaft and they are " +" shaped. All you have to do is remove the yoke's that hold it onto the rear differential or the tranny and drop it down. You should use the special tool to remove the u joints but you can use sockets and a vise.

BE SURE TO MARK THE DRIVESHAFT TO WHERE IT MEETS WITH SOAPSTONE OR SOMETHING TO KNOW HOW TO REINSTALL IT WHICH END IS FRONT AND BACK.

Blackop555