CHEVY ENGINE STOPPED, FUEL PUMP PRESSURIZES

1997 Chevrolet Suburban

1997 Chevy Suburban V8 Four Wheel Drive Automatic 107983 miles

Engine was running fine until about 2 weeks ago, then shut off while wife was driving it. Started right back up and no problems until yesterday (about 75 miles driven in that time). Sitting at stop light, it started running rough, then just died and won't restart. Fuel pump pressurizes when key is turned on and depressurizes when key turned off. Replaced fuel filter and got no change. Checked with hand held scanner and got no codes. Any ideas?
FStrickl

If it is a fuel problem you won't get any codes. You said the system pressurizes when key is turned on and depressurizes when turned off, where you using a fuel pressure tester to determine this?

If you are losing pressure when the key is turned off most likely the fuel pressure regulator is bad.
Take a look at this video to test you system...

http://www.2carpros.com/car_repair_video/test_fuel_injection_pressure.htm

Obxautomedic
Thanks for the reply. Fuel pump was too big a job for me, so had local shop replace fuel pressure regulator and fuel pump. That didn't solve problem. Turned out to be " coil pick-up on the distributor" and the coil. I saw both parts, have no idea what was wrong with the pickup, but the terminal on the coil was melted. Mechanic said pickup shorted out and caused the coil to over load and melt the terminal. Vehicle runs fine now. Mechanic said he never got any codes on the scanner.

Flynn

FStrickl