CHEVY HARD SHIFTING

1992 Chevrolet Suburban

1992 Chevy Suburban V8 Four Wheel Drive Automatic 315000 miles

When I shift into reverse, primarily when vehicle facing downhill, I hear a loud clunk. I suspect the transmision. So I had 2 diff friends listen to the clunk. They hear it from the rear end of the vehicle. So I replaced the U joints in hopes. That didnt do anything to help. Still shifts hard. But sound comes from the rear of the vehicle. Any help would be greatly aprreciated. How do I fix/check a rear end or tell if its the trans?
Jakeneedshelp

Check for freeplay in your pinion. (Grab the yolk and look for freeplay in and out). Let us know what you find there.

Madmike1735
I did that when I redid the u joints. It has a little bit of play but not very much. Old guy I was with said mine looked normal.

Jakeneedshelp
How much freeplay is normal?

Jakeneedshelp
Anything you can see, or feel is to much. The endplay is set to such tight tolerances, that any play felt will verify a problem.

Madmike1735
Id say there was a least a 1/4 inch play. So whats my next step? And thank you

Jakeneedshelp
And why would the CLUNK sound come from the rear?

Jakeneedshelp
Remove the rear diff cover. It is possible that a tooth has broken on either the ring gear, or spur gear. That would def. Cause a clunk. Let us know what you find.

Madmike1735