CHEVY ROMOVAL OF OIL PAN

2003 Chevrolet Silverado

2003 Chevy Silverado V8 Four Wheel Drive Automatic 70000 miles

My oil pressure dropped to 0 instantaniously. I stopped and did an engine flush and oil change to no avail. I feel that the oil pump screen is blocked or the oil pump is defective.
I need to know the easiest way to remove the oil pan to get access to the pump and screen.

Lesterandsarah

Did you hear any ticking or knocking from the engine? Before going to the extent of removing the oil pan, I would recommend getting a mechanical oil gauge (most parts stores will lend or rent them) and check to see if the engine is getting pressure. There is a good chance the sending unit went bad.

Let me know.

I do get clicking valve noise if I idle the motor now. I keep that to a bear minimum. I feel there is definately no oil pressure. I was considering removing the oil filter and then turning the engine over to see if there might clear out the oil pump screen (if that is the problem). What do you think? Removal of the oil pan seems like a big job. Any suggestions?

Lesterandsarah
Either you have a bad oil pump or the screen is plugged on the pick up. What I would like you to do is this. Go to a parts store and rent an oil pressure gauge. It screws into where the oil sending unit is located. Check the oil pressure using that and let me know what the pressure actually is. From that, I can help direct you. As far as removing the oil filter, it isn't recommended.

Let me know what you think. I really believe the oil pan will need to come off, but that is your call at this point.

Take care,

Thanks for the input. In retrospect, I agree that regardless, the oil pan will have to come off. There doesn't seem to be a lot of room to raise the motor approx. 10 inches, but, will try. I will remove the motor mounts and using a cherry picker (owned by a friend) to accomplish this. I agree also that the removal of the oil filter would be useless, as regardless what we find, the oil pan will still have to come off to correct the blockage or the broken oil pump drive shaft or the oil pump itself. It will have to wait until the Friday. We fully appreciate your input.

Lesterandsarah
If you need help along the way, let me know. I check my email every day, so I'll get back to you ASAP. Be carefull not to damage any wiring, vacuum hoses, sensors. When lifting the engine. And you are correct, there isn't much room.

Let me know how it goes for you.