CHEVY REAR END PROBLEMS

1999 Chevrolet Silverado

Drive Train Axles Bearings problem
1999 Chevy Silverado 6 cyl Four Wheel Drive Automatic 320000 miles

Hello

I have been hearing a whinning noise coming from the back end for some time now. The other day I was driving at about 50mph and there was a grinding noise and the tires locked up for a minute. I took apart the differential and removed the driveshaft. The pinion seems to be quite loose and when I put it back together it runs but shakes hard at 25 mph and grinds. There are 3: 73 gears in this model and I have an old 1992 with 3: 08 gears. Can I swap rear ends without affecting the 4x4 to much? If not how hard is it to replace pinion gear? Are there any specialty tools needed?
MikeCameron

NO, NO, NO! Don't change the gear ratio. It will cause a nightmare for you. You must stay with the same ratio as the front differential.

I figured that would be bad news. How difficult is it to replace the pinion and are there any specialty tools needed? Would it be eaier to find another axle and replace the whole thing?

MikeCameron
If you can find an entire axle assembly with a good differential, that would be the easiest thing to do.

Perfect, thanks for the help very much appreciated

MikeCameron
I'm glad to help. Let us know if you have questions in the future.

Hi There

I found a rear end but they want $900. I am wondering if it might be the bearings on the pinion that are gone? I have inspected the Ring gear and there is no wear or pitting. I can not get a good look at the pinion gear without removing the guts but it looks like tehre is no pitting or wear. When I detach the driveshaft and grab the yolk attched to the pinion it has quite a bit of play. I am going to take it all apart, what should I be looking for that would cause this much play?

MikeCameron
If you have a lot of play in the pinion yoke, chances are the pinion bearing is bad.

Again you are correct, I ended up taking the pinion right out and there is one severely busted up bearing in there. I bought a new crush sleeve and back bearing for the pinion. Is there anything I should be watching for when re assembling or just put it in the way it came out? As for pre-load should I just get ti to where the gears just spin by hand and then stop?

MikeCameron
Yes, and Yes. I'm glad you found the problem. Let us know if you have additional questions.

Will do thanks Joe!

MikeCameron