CHEVY GEAR SELECTOR AND ODOMETER LIGHT

1999 Chevrolet Silverado

1999 Chevy Silverado V8 Four Wheel Drive Automatic 103535 miles

My 1999 Chevrolet Silverado's Gear selector and odometer light sometimes work and sometimes do not. The latest occurance of this problem was as follows. Started the truck, no light, was driving and they came on. Got to destination when I turned off the truck they were still working. When I restarted the truck about 1 hour later they were not working again. The odometer is still working, as the mileage is being added up. Just the illumionation is working on and off.
I thank you in advance for your assistance.
Tim
Cologmowner

Tim I had the same problem with my 1999 2 Wheel Drive Silverado, lost the gear selector and odometer display light. I took the Instrument Cluster out of the dash and unplugged the wiring bundle. I used White Lithium Grease, and with my finger, smeared a thin layer of grease, forcing it down in the holes on the end of connector. Then wiped the surface of the connector clean, plugged it back into the cluster, put the cluster back in the dash, turned the key on and the odometer and gear selector lights came up. It's been working for the last 3 day's now with out a hitch. Keeping my fingers crossed. The fuel gauge even works better than before. It’s not erratic now but a little slow to show how much fuel is in the tank.
I used to have a 1976 International Scout that would just quit running and wouldn’t restart. The fix was the White Lithium Grease in a connection point on the wiring bundle going to the electronic ignition. The voltage passing thru that connection was so low that the connection had to be perfect. Let us know if it works for you too.

Dlmusic
I had this issue with my truck and fixed it without spending one dollar, visit my site for the directions, good luck, let me know if it works for you. http://www.mrfixit.webnode.com thanks

Clcnew