CHEVY FRONT CRANK SEAL LEAKING

1999 Chevrolet Silverado

1999 Chevy Silverado 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 189, 00 miles

I have a '99 Silverado with the 4.3L V-6. The engine recently developed an oil leak. The oil is leaking from the front crank seal. The timing cover and oil pan are not leaking, so I'm trying to avoid messing with them. This engine is equipped with a composite timing cover.

Can the crank seal be removed by picking it out carefully from the front if I pull the pulley and balancer off? I'm nervous about this plastic timing cover and damaging it. I've read horror stories about having to pull it off and then the oil pan as well to reseal everything - the oil pan looks like a nightmare because of the close proximity of cross members.

Thanks,
TY
Traderyoda

Oil seal can nbe replaced without pulling cover CAREFULLY pry out old seal check for groove in dampner shank if present get repair sleeve. MUST use proper seal installer tool. Good Luck take your time

Docfixit
Thanks Docfixit - appreciate the help very much. I just removed the pulley and am about to remove the balancer. I going to use a set of picks to try and gently remove the seal. I'll have to check around to find the right installer tool - don't know what it looks like.

Traderyoda
Can use a PVC nipple the size of seal

Docfixit