CHEVY COOLANT LEAK

1997 Chevrolet Silverado

Engine Cooling problem
1997 Chevy Silverado V8 Two Wheel Drive Automatic 290000 miles

2 different mechanics have told me 2 different answers for my coolant leak. One says it is my intake manifold the other says it is my head gaskets. The symptoms are an odor of antifreeze and small amounts of water dripping from around the back of the motor. There is also alittle bit of water coming out of my tailpipes from time to time. What does it sound like to you.
Bkpolster

Sounds to me like the intake. The water out the tail pipe could just be condensation. You've got 15lbs pressure" max" in the cooling system and 100lbs plus in the cylinders. If you've got a cracked head or a leaking gasket, you're going to be pushing exhaust into the cooling system. They make kits for detecting exhaust gases in coolant. You may want to check these out to find out for sure. Hope this helps. Let us know what you find.

James W.
I have a repair shop and I see intake man. Gskts all the time on vortec chevys. Is the leak on the drivers side rear of engine? If so, it's probably intake gskt. Fel pro makes a replacement that has been improved. It's a little pricey, buy it works great. Pressurize the cooling system and look with a mirror at the rear of engine for coolant leak where intake and head meet. We done 19 intake gskts. On same vehicle in 1 month. VERY common! Willie

Slimwillie