CHEVY BRAKE LIGHT CIRCUIT

1997 Chevrolet Silverado

1997 Chevy Silverado V8 Two Wheel Drive Automatic 163500 miles

How do I find the brake light circuit at the rear of the truck? I have a third brakelight above the rear cab window, but I want to add a third brake light to a topper at the rear above the tailgate. This topper was made before the third brakelight requirement and I have one I am installing. The wires that go to the right and left brake light recepticals are the combo brake/turn signal circuits like on trailer wiring. I do not have a dedicated brake light that I can pull from in the receptical area. If I use one of these combo circuits, the third brake light will blink when I turn on that turn signal. Is there a brake only circuit back at the tailgate, and how do I identify it easily, or do I have to go forward to the existing third brake light and run a wire to the rear of the truck?
Jeffrey Crook

You can splice into the yellow wire at the L/side socket or at the R/side dark green wire these wires powers the lower brake lights.

Please correct me if I am looking at this the wrong way! I have four wires at the socket. 1. Ground wire, 2. Running lights, 3. Back-up light, 4. Is a Brake light / combination right or left turn signal depending what side we are on! Correct? As you said, yellow on the left and green on the right! If I connect this to a THIRD and CENTER BRAKE LIGHT, it will blink when I turn on a turn signal, right if I use the green and left if I use the yellow! I do not want this light to blink. I need a DEDICATED BRAKE LIGHT CIRCUIT! Please research this issue as I believe the answer you provided is incorrect!

Jeffrey Crook
Okay I overlooked the turn signal my bad-the only way to do it is to tap off from the center high mount brake light white wire. This is the closes you can get to the lights or you can do it at the brake switch.