CHEVY BLOWER MOTOR

1995 Chevrolet Silverado

Heater problem
1995 Chevy Silverado V8 Four Wheel Drive Automatic 168000 miles

I'm trying to replace my heater/ac blower motor in my '95 Silverado. There is a rubber covering over the motor, which is under the dash on the passenger side. I cannot get this cover off to get at the motor to remove it. It's hung up at the top and I do not see any more screws holding it in. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Greg
1bignordic

I don't know what that rubber cover the motor is for but it should just come out after you remove the screws you may have to pry a little to get the sealent under the motor to break loose but you should be able to get it out

Jnovack
The cover has like sound deadening material inside, and it also gives the under dash area a neater appearance, I do not see any more screws, but its hung up at the top, part of it is right underneath the computer. Its just not coming loose!

As far as the motor is concerned, I've gotten all but 1 screw out, I just can't reach the top screw because the cover is in the way. My Haynes manual simply says to remove the cover, they don't go into any detail.

1bignordic
Ok try removing the glove box and see if there is anything behind there and you should only have to remove that panel it is what you said it is a sound deadener and makes it look nice under the dash. Is it stuck under next to firewall or on glove box side if it is on firewall side there is noscrews up there that you can't see if it is on the glove box side then there could be some behind glovebox

Jnovack
Ok, I got the fan blower motor replaced, when I got the old one out, the casing for the motor had water in the bottom, this is why I was getting a wet floor on my passenger side! I must have blown the blower motor resister because the new fan only works on high. How difficult is it to replace this resistor, and for the future, how can I keep water from getting, I think through the cowel and running into the blower motor and casing? Do I have a plugged drain hole somewhere?

1bignordic
Here is what the resistor looks like and you could have a clogged drain hole you will need to check up inside to the right to find it

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/52960_wl2dr776003_1.jpg

Jnovack
Could you tell me where the resistor is located inside the dash? I was told by a mechanic they're very difficult to replace, is this something that a mechanic should be doing instead of the hobbyist?

Thanks so much for all your help, it has made the job much easier!

Greg

1bignordic
The Blower Motor Resistor is on the passenger side behind the glove box. If you have a bit of patience you will be able to do it yourself.
1. First detach the glove box by removing the plastic restraint on the left side and depressing both sides and pulling down. Be careful, it breaks really easily.

Once the glove box is out of the way use a flashlight and look directly on top of the air box. There is a metal bracket held in with two small screws with a relay on it (I used a 7mm).

2. Undo the screws and carefully push the bracket upwards, there is a plug connecting two wires held in by a plastic nub.

3. Remove the nub by squeezing it and pulling on it lightly.

4. Push the wire and any others in there that you can to the side to get them out of the way.
5. Next unplug the relay.

This should free up the metal bracket and let you remove it. Use a flashlight and look directly behind where the relay was. This is the resistor. It has a group of wires plugged into it and is held in by two more of those little screws.

6. Unplug the wires. I used a flathead to carefully pry open the little latch and push up on the wire. Move the wires to the side. Try to wedge them carefully so they stay out of the way.

7. Use a little wrench and undo the little screws.

8. Remove the old resistor.

I suggest taking your time with the old one to try and find a plan of attack to get it out/in. There isn't much room. Replace with the new one and put everything back. Good Luck!

If you get frustrated and go for a beer, to find tools, lunch whatever, I suggest that you unplug the little light that usually illuminates the glove box.

Jnovack
The last message in this saved me a lot of time and a lot of money. My A/C fan was occasionally not working, the other day it quit altogether. I had the ignition on and the the A/C and fan switch on. As soon as I unscrewed the second screw and the relay moved the fan started working, I just pulled the relay out a little bit and reseated the plug and the one on the resistor and voila! Done! Good thing too it's about 100 out there today. Thanks guys

Jeffbrown1