CHEVY EMERGENCY BRAKE INSTALLATION

1984 Chevrolet Silverado

Brakes problem
1984 Chevy Silverado V8 Four Wheel Drive Automatic 90560 miles

I bought this truck a couple months ago. It has no emergency brake. Whoever removed it removed all of it, connects, cables, everything, The problem I have is I don't know where it connect, or where to run the cables. Can you help?

Daniel
Momby53

REMOVAL & INSTALLATION

Front Cable
DRUM BRAKES

See Figure 1

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/52960_0900c1528008f6c3_1.jpg

Fig. 1: Front parking brake cable-C/K Series

1.Raise vehicle and support it with safety stands.
2.Remove adjusting nut from equalizer.
3.Remove retainer clip from rear portion of front cable at frame and from lever arm.
4.Disconnect front brake cable from parking brake pedal or lever assemblies. Remove front brake cable. On some models, it may assist installation of new cable if a heavy cord is tied to other end of cable in order to guide new cable through proper routing.

To install:

5.Install cable by reversing removal procedure.
6.Adjust parking brake.

Center Cable

1.Raise the vehicle on hoist.
2.Remove the adjusting nut from the equalizer.
3.Unhook the connector at each end and disengage the hooks and guides.
4.Install the new cable by reversing the removal procedure.
5.Adjust the parking brake.
6.Apply the parking brake 3 times with heavy pressure and repeat adjustment.

Rear Cable

See Figure 3

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/52960_0900c1528008f6c5_1.jpg

Fig. 3: Rear parking brake cable-C/K Series

1.Raise the vehicle and support it on safety stands.
2.Remove the rear wheel and brake drum.
3.Loosen the adjusting nut at the equalizer.
4.Disengage the rear cable at the connector.
5.Bend the retainer fingers at the backing plate.
6.Disengage the cable at the brake shoe operating lever.
7.Install the new cable.
8.Adjust the parking brake.

ADJUSTMENT

Duo-Servo Drum Brakes

The rear brakes serve a dual purpose. They are used as service brakes and as parking brakes. To obtain proper adjustment of the parking brake, the service brakes must first be properly adjusted as outlined earlier.

1.Apply the parking brake 4 clicks from the fully released position.
2.Raise and support the vehicle.
3.Loosen the locknut at the equalizer.
4.Tighten or loosen the adjusting nut until a moderate drag is felt when the rear wheels are rotated forward.
5.Tighten the locknut.
6.Release the parking brake and rotate the rear wheels. No drag should be felt. If even a light drag is felt, readjust the parking brake.
7.Lower the vehicle.

If a new parking brake cable is being installed, pre-stretch it by applying the parking brake hard about three times before making adjustments.

Leading/Trailing Drum Brakes

See Figures 4 and 5

1.Raise the rear of the truck and support it with safety stands. Remove the wheels and brake drum.
2.Measure the brake drum inside diameter.
3.Turn the adjuster nut until the brake shoe maximum diameter is 0.01-0.02 in. (0.25-50mm) less than the brake drum diameter.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/52960_0900c1528008f6c6_1.jpg

Fig. 4: Parking brake adjusting screw-C/K Series

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/52960_0900c1528008f6c7_1.jpg

Fig. 5: Left side parking brake assembly-C/K Series

4.Make sure that the stops on the parking brake levers are against the edge of the brake shoe web. If the cable is holding the stops off the edge, loosen the adjustment.
5.Tighten the cable at the adjuster nut until the lever stops begin to move off the shoe webs.
6.Loosen the adjustment nut until the lever stops are just touching the shoe webs. There should be no more than 0.019 inch (0.5mm) clearance between the stops and the webs.
7.Install the drums and wheels.
8.Pump the brake pedal 30-35 times with normal force. Pause about 1 second between each stroke.
9.Depress the parking brake pedal 6 clicks. The wheels should be locked.
10.Release the parking brake. The wheels should rotate freely.

Jnovack
Thank you very much for the prompt response. I gave the instructions to my husband, he looked them over and it appears we have a bigger problem. He had a feeling that the rear end had been changed on this truck at some time. On figure 3 it shows the cable going along the axel from left to right. He says that the hangers that you see on figure 3, are different than our vehicle. On ours, there are hangers on both sides, so he figures the cable runs up each side instead of going across from one side to the other. Does this make sense to you? If I had a picture of the underside of the truck would that help?

Thank you

Sharon

Momby53
Axle may have been changed all pics and repair info I sent you is from GM repair manual you may want to try to make some hangers for the cable it doesnt have to be tight to cable just needs to be hold in place many auto parts stores have replacement hangers that are universal that you can use

Jnovack