95 S10 4.3 HO V6 PULLING MY HAIR OUT!!!!

1995 Chevrolet S-10

95 S10 4.3 HO V6 w/187534 miles. Ok, here we go.I have an ongoing problem with my S10. It started about 4 months ago. First it was running rough and put it in the shop, replaced distributor cap and rotor. Didn't fix it. Back to shop. Replaced computer, spider, control mod. Fixed and running great. Two days later, come out to go to work, truck starts and immediately dies, then won't start again. Left it for the day, come home and it starts, runs great all evening. Next morning does it again, quick vroom then stops and just turns over but no start. Back to shop, replace control mod again and it runs fine for about three days, then same thing again. Back to shop, they kept it for 2 weeks during which time the checked every sensor, re replaced the spider, oil pressure sending unit, checked the fuel pressure, replace fuel filter, and replaced computer again. Finally throws a code of multiple misfires. Replace the distributor cap, rotor and pickup coil again. During that 2 weeks it starts and runs for them twice only to turn around and do the same thing again before I could pick it up. That shop finally gives up on it and sends it to the dealer. The dealer reprograms the computer because they said it wasn't programmed right. Then they replace the crankshaft sensor, distributor cap and rotor again. I finally get the truck back and it runs great, Until last weekend, go to the store and come back out truck won't start again, same thing quick vroom then just turns over. Get a ride home, come back that evening to tow it and it starts but check engine light is on. Friend of mine suggested pickup coil again, replace it and the light goes out. Runs great until today, same thing again. Please help before I decide to replace my gas cap with dynamite!
Ajspade

Big problem!

Well, my only thought its the gas pump and or the gas regulator.
Why?
Because could be an intermitent problem.
Could be, also, when they check the pressure work good for that given time but fail later. With gas pumps you never know. Can have the " screen" clogged and let some gas get up to the lines for a certain time and later nothing at all.

IMHO thats my only choice.
I can be wrong. But. Hey!
Its worth to check it !

Good luck!

Fisherman
What codes is it giving? Check the wiring harness near the battery where the wiring crosses from engine to battery area, there is a hose clamp for the heater hose next to the harness, be sure it hasnt rubbed into the wiring

Jack42
I'll try those things when I get home tonight. I'll let you know. FYI The fuel pump was just replaced about 8 months ago. It has a little trouble with shifting hard and surging like too. Could that be related at all? I don't have the code it's throwing this time but i'll get it tonight and relay.

Ajspade
Lets start with the codes and go from there

Jack42
1st code is P1351 which I was told is for the ICM but that has been changed three times now. 2nd code is P0122 which I was told is the throttle position sensor so I replace it. On the print out identified possible shorts or ground problems on circuits 1-4. What's that? Where are circuits 1-4? Could a ground problem cause all these problems or is there something else I should look at?

Ajspade
Could be bad wiring or bad grounds.Either way, some pin-to-pin wiring checks are in order.

http://www.2carpros.com/kpages/auto_repair_manuals.htm

Will take you to Mitchell On demand. In there you will find the locations af all the grounds and the wires you need to test

Jack42