CHEVY SECONDARY AIR PUMP

2000 Chevrolet S-10

Computer problem
2000 Chevy S-10 Four Wheel Drive Manual 140000 miles

My s10, with the zr2 package has an engine code that says secondary air pump malfunction, I have pretty much checked the wires and connections, checked the 30 amp and 10 amp fuse behind the battery and all checked OK, when I start the engine the pump located under the radiator will not come on, how ever, you connect it to the trucks battery and the pump will still come on, does the pump run all the time, or just some of the time? If the pump was the problem would it come on with a battery connected to it and still be faulty, Any help with this would surely be appreciated, Thank you.
Coffeeboy2

These systems have a relay that will be probably in the underhood electrical center. The VCM- vehicle control module supplies a ground to turn on the relay and pump. Do the easy stuff first, change the relay and see if it works or not. The secondary system only works at start up and deceleration. If it still doesn't work after the relay change then you'll have to see if the relay is getting power and whether or not it is getting ground from the module/computer. Which means you'll probably have to have a pro look at it.