CHEVY TIMING

1996 Chevrolet S-10

1996 Chevy S-10 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Manual 148, 00 miles

i would like to know how to tell if the timing chain is broke and there is a bent something with it. We were driving and it had kept bogging down and popping and when we turned the corner it made a pop and died and so we towed it home and it hasn't started. Different mechanics put new coil packs plugs wires checked catalyct convertor, new ignition module fuel filter, starter. And one person said it was getting spark then a shop said there is no compression. Is it normal for a timing belt to break?We always maintain our truck, but we did take it to meineke to get our fuel injector throttle body cleaned, and after we left is whenit started cutting out.I just want to know what to do to make sure my motor isn't shot.
Dbbdrake

If the timing chain broke then the engine would crank over much faster than normal. Your engine is a 2.2 liter engine. The engine you have is not an interference engine which means if the chain breaks it will not hurt anything. Just put new chain on and it should fire back up. If there is no compression with new chain than it is possible you put the chain on wrong.

Bluelightnin6
I agree with what you said about my truck being a no interference motor, but now different back yard garages are saying that my valves are most likely bent cause it is an interference motor.I just don't want to have it towed somewhere and not be told if it is or not an interference motor, cause that is more money I really don't have. I think they tell me that cause how could I know any way? My truck has a 2.2 liter engine and it just turns and turns but never starts when u start turning the key, you will hear one snall pop then turning but never trying to start. Thank you, please help!

Dbbdrake
Well i've heard stories of them breaking on these motors and it hurting the pistons etc. And then i've heard stories of it breaking and just replacing chain fixed it, so I don't think anyone knows if it's interference or not really. The only way to tell would be either do a leak down test on cylinders before replacing chain or do compression test on cylinders after replacing chain.

I would like to know if I have to have my trucked towed to have a bleeding etc. Test or compression test done before I have a timing chain put on or when I take it in to have a timing chain put on will they know then? Just wanting to know which is the cheaper way to go. Wehich nothing is going to be cheap with this problem i'm afraid. Thank you. For all ur help.

Dbbdrake
It's going to have to be towed no matter what you choose to do unless you just know someone that can work on it where it sits now but that would be hard since they wouldn't have all the tools onhand.