CHEVY 4X4 WONT ENGAGE. HELP!

1987 Chevrolet S-10

Drive Train Axles Bearings problem
1987 Chevy S-10 6 cyl Four Wheel Drive Manual

87 s10, 4x4 wont engage, this is what I have figured out so far. The 4wd actuator isnt getting a vacuum to lock the hubs, so I took a vacuum brake bleeder and hooked it to the actuator and the 4wd works perfect, but the 4h 4L indicator lights dont work, and never have. So where do I start? The switch for the console lights? Some sort of vac switch? Vac pump? Something else? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Clapper33

I would test the switch. If its not lighting up it may have an open. Test to see if your getting 12 volts to the switch if so I would see about finding a switch to swap out. Maybe from a junk yard or something.

Tooomanytoys
Ok, how do I test the switch? I took the floor console panel off and there are 2 connectors to the panel indicator lights. The one on the left im assuming is the feed or power, it has 3 wires, the other connector on the right goes from the 2h 4h N 4L lights to the switch. So just check for power on the left connector that feeds it or check at the switch? How would I do that? Or could it be as simple as a fuse? Thanks.

Clapper33
Floor console? Is this truck push button fourwheel drive, or do you have to push a lever? Normally the push button stlye is mounted on the dash.

Tooomanytoys
Its not push button, its a 1987. It has a lever mounted in the floor console next to the shifter (5 speed)

Clapper33
I'm sorry thought it was electronic. In that case pull the front differential actuator out. And see if it moves when you select 4 wheel drive. Most likely actutaor is sticking. Or you have a vacuum leak.

Tooomanytoys