CHEVY REPLACE REBUILD OR NEW CAR

2001 Chevrolet Prizm

2001 Chevy Prizm 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 105000 miles

hi I have a 2001 Chevy prism lsi, it have been making loud ticking noises especially in reverse and it burns a quart of oil a week or more. There's lots of black resido on the back of the vehicle from the exhaust. My family mechanic said I blew a rod and there was metal pieces in the oil and I need a rebuilt or new engine I got quoted 1500 for a rebuild and 1800 for a new one both with 6 year warranty, to me to good to be true. Im just worried about getting a shady engine and mechanic and the devaluing the car. Got offered 500 for the way it sits. Should I sell and just get a new one and dose a rebuild or a new engine devalue the car?
Tylerb234

If rod is broken, engine would make A LOT of noise, if not sieze.

Another choice is to replace with used engine.

But if he will put a new engine in for $1800 with a 6 year warranty, take it. Just make sure warranty is written and he is not about to go out of business : ).

Mmprince4000