TRUCK CRANKS BUT WONT START

Chevrolet Other

1997 chevy Z71 350 4x4 170,000 miles truck tries to crank but wont started out takeing 5 or 6 tries for it to crank fuel pump kicks on changed fuel pump relay an temp. Sensor still wont start gave it a shot of either ran fine. Sit over nite want start again. Changed cap an rotor still want start. Thanks tom
Tdarnold2000

Tom,
First and most important, UNHOOK the battery before you start any of this. Take the cap back off. Inspect your distributor. Then take the new rotor off the shaft, see any rust or corrosion? Give it a good cleaning with some fine sandpaper or emery cloth. Make sure nothing gets into cap, clean or vac out any particles. Check all the electrical connections around the dist. To make sure they are tight, follow those leads to any emmision parts.
Re install cap & rotor, reconnect battery and try to fire up.
If no start let us know & we can go from there.
Good luck.
Kenvcr

Kenvcr
Still want start tries to crank

Tdarnold2000
Another? Think ill check fuel pump pressure were do I test it. Thanks

Tdarnold2000
I have the same problem I have a 1997 K-1500 4x4 with 145000 miles. My truck if left sets for more than a few hours will crank but not start. I had the distributor and cap replaced as well as the module. I checked the ground wires and everything appears to be fine. It seems like if I barely turn the key it will nearly start but if I begin to crank it will crank and crank with no fire. I know it is getting gas because I can hearthe pump run and can smell gas even though I do not step on the pedaI. I am ready to pull my hair out over this.

Patwva
Iv talked to a dealer awhile back when it was just hard to crank no one had a clue what it could be iv changed cap an rotor fuel pump had the module tested its says good at part store

Tdarnold2000
I was also told to look at the ground wires. Everything seemed to be functioning correctly I even jumped the truck by grounding directly to the block. That didn't help either. Is it possibly a timing problem? If so is there any easy way to check?

Patwva
Put a new fuel pump in cranked find today thanks for the help Tom

Tdarnold2000