NEW REAR BRAKES

Chevrolet Other

I have a 1995 cavalier sedan 2.2L no power options. My ABS system hasn't worked in over 2 years and I have had no problems with the brakes since I bought the car. I recently put new shoes on the rear tires and every once in a while I will hear a loud " boom" noise coming from the left rear brake when I am stopping. I was told that I needed new drums before I put the brakes on, could that be the problem or should I be looking for something else. I was also told to get a new wheel cylinder. Any ideas at all would help.

Thanks,

Mike
Mikebs20

You need to pull the wheels and look at the brakes to see if there is somthing obviously wrong.

IF the wheel cylinder is leaking, you may have ruined the new shoes. You get various symptoms from a leaking wheel cylinder. There seems to be a greater chance of bad wheel cylinders, when the brake drums are worn oversize from what I've seen.