FUEL PRESSURE REGULATOR OR FUEL PUMP?

Chevrolet Other

I have a 1994 Chevy Blazer S-10 that runs great except when I get it up to around 50-60 mph. It starts acting like its out of gas, or not getting any gas, and it can be full of gas. I replaced the fuel filter today and the problem is still persisting. Im wondering if I would need to replace the fuel pump, or maybe is it the fuel pressure regulator?
Thanks, Autumn
Autumn

My Daddy says you should be checkin the fuel pressure to see if it is up to snuff.

Cleavage4U
First thing I would do is go to a parts store and get a fuel pressure tester, they are around 40 dollars. It has a couple different fitting that screw down on the fuel rail test valve(looks like a bicycle tire valve cap). With the fuel tester attached start the truck up and see what pressure you are getting on the gage. It should be in the neighborhood of 30-45 psi. Now disconnect the vacuum line that goes to the fuel pressure regulator, with it disconnected the fuel pressure should increase about 10 psi, if it doesn't then the regulator is bad. If the pressure is below the min according to your repair manual then it is time to replace your fuel pump.

Garfield
My Daddy wonders if the sock might be pluggin up the pump cause y'all are goin so fast?

Cleavage4U
Yes the sock(correct name is strainer) could be clogged. But before I would try changing it I would check the pressure first. With the fuel pressure tester attached to the fuel rail I would bring the engine up to the rpms that you normally are running at around 50 to 60 MPH and see if your fuel pressure is correct if not disconnect the vacuum fittling and see if the pressure increase. It is recommended that you change the sock out when you change the fuel pump anyway.

Garfield
Oh Mr Garfield,
I didn't mean you no harm. You give some real good explaining. And you helped me understand my baby's problem better : )
I see you called it sock too, just like Daddy does! Oh an is a " fittling" that bicycle thing you were talkin' about?

Daddy say that sometimes the sock, or the strainer like those stuffy technical guys call it, may not plug up when your just sittin' at a stand still. HE says you should tape the gauge to the wind shield and drive it up that freeway. That is if the pressure shows it's comin' out real good like you said.

I'll bet Autumn is gonna be so happy with you, that she's gonna give you a reputation, just like Mr. Duct tape gave me : Maybe she'll even make a donation to all you hard workin' guys that are comfortin' us.

Cleavage4U