FIRING ORDER

Chevrolet Other

I have a 1991 Chevy Lumina van with a 3.1 liter engine. I was changing the plugs and messed up the firing order. I have found the firing order, but I do not know which spark plug connection on the distrubutor cap is number one, which is number two, etc. Please help if you can. Thanks.
Mbruce

Some caps have some kind of markings for #1, some don't. If yours doesn't you can turn the engine over manually at the crankshaft(usually clockwise) until the timing marks align on zero. That should set the rotor at #1 position. But make sure by pulling the #1 spark plug and feeling for compression as the crankshaft nears the zero mark. Or pull the valve cover and check that both the#1 valves are closed.

Hope that helps

Hyknrd
When you do get #1 cylinder on TDC see where your rotor is pointing at on the cap and #1 wire will go there, then going clockwise follow the firing order around the cap. Example- chevy v-8 is 1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2 firing order so after finding #1 you would take plug wire from #8 plug to the next place on the cap and continue through the firing order in this fashion. Having a 3.1 engine I believe is a v-6, isn't it? Two less plugs and wires to worry about. In the future if you only take 1 wire loose at a time you can avoid this confusion and keep it all in order. Good luck.

Burrbrian