WATER PUMP ON 97 3.1

1997 Chevrolet Monte Carlo

I have been trying to figure out what is causing an overheating probem on my 97 Monte Carlo 3.1L (190,000 miles).

I have already flushed the coolant, replaced the thermostat and the radiator cap without any change in the overheating problem except that now the heater doesn't blow hot air. Now I'm trying to determine if it might be the water pump even though there doesn't seem to be any leakage. I removed the pump today and I can't see anything obviously wrong - the fan blades look like they are in good shape.

However, if I hold the pulley on the outside of the pump I can still spin the fan blades. Is this supposed to do this?
Jonnykatz

No it's not. That would be your problem. Also make sure the radiator isn't clogged, flush it out while you're working on the coolant system.

Bootdog
Thanks. I just wasn't sure if somekind of clutch kicked in when the pressure built up. You were correct. I replaced the pump yesterday and it works great.

The guy at autozone said to put straight Dexcool in. I was wondering if I should change the coolant because I recently received a notice that there is a class-action lawsuit against Chevrolet for claiming that Dexcool is supposed to last 100,000 miles because it causes corrosion.

Jonnykatz
What that corrosion build up is, is actually electrodes forming in the coolant system. I've only seen it with dexcool. I would recommend an universal coolant. If you want to use dexcool then be sure that you mix it with distilled water. This will keep electrode build up from forming in the coolant system.

Bootdog
Thanks. Someone also recommended that I just use straigh dexcool.

Jonnykatz
I am having a Very similar problem I have changed the thermostat, radiator cap upper and lower radiator hoses drained and refilled with Dexcool I am overheating Still all of my antifreeze is going into my overflow reserve Car has 113,000 miles on its being a ' 97 Monte Carlo LS (3.1) I didn't flush my system unsure of how to. Any suggestions would be Greatly appreciated as I am at a stand still right now Thanks Betty V.

The guy at autozone said to put straight Dexcool in. I was wondering if I should change the coolant because I recently received a notice that there is a class-action lawsuit against Chevrolet for claiming that Dexcool is supposed to last 100,000 miles because it causes corrosion.[/Quote: bbb687d1ac]

BsMonte