CHEVY EGR VALVE OR TUBE

2003 Chevrolet Monte Carlo

2003 Chevy Monte Carlo 6 cyl Automatic

My check engine light is on so I had someone run diagnostics on it. They said it was the EGR valve. What exactly does that mean and where is it located? My car seems to be running fine and I recently had the oil changed and replaced the air filter.

Thanks,
Jessica
Hornsbyj32

The EGR (exhaust gas recirculation) valve is part of the vehicle's emissions system. It is located on top rear of engine for the 3.4L engines and on top right rear of 3.8L engines. For a diagram just post your engine size. I suggest having the passageways to the EGR valve cleaned prior to purchasing the valve itself. These passageways usually get clogged with carbon build up which will lower the performance of the EGR valve and cause the Engine Light to illuminate with the EGR code.

Thanks for using 2CarPros. Com!

Bluelightnin6
It's a 3.4 L engine, and how do I clean the passageways?

Thanks again!

Hornsbyj32

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/261618_1_55.jpg

You will need to remove the EGR valve..this opens up the pathway into the intake manifold. This is what becomes clogged with carbon. Some EGR passages make sharp 90 degree turns into the intake which makes it very difficult to clean without removing the manifold. You may be better off having a local reputable shop do this for you.

Bluelightnin6