CHEVY BATTERY CHANGE AND POSITIVE BATTERY

1999 Chevrolet Monte Carlo

1999 Chevy Monte Carlo 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 134200 miles

Hi,

I had trouble starting my car so I had it jumped and took it for diagnostics. I was told that the car needed a new battery and the positive cable had been damaged by corrosion and that it was a common problem with the DELCO batteries in chevys. I just got the battery changed as the cable was not readily available. The very next day I got the service engine light on. I don't know if its because of the battery change and not the cable or because of any other reason. I used to get the service engine soon light when I just turn on the battery of the car but it used to go off once I started the engine but now it keeps showing the light even after the engine is running. I am also noticing that there is a little jerk initially when I try to accelerate from a stop position, which was not there before. Please let me know if you have any idea about what might be wrong.
Sharadanugonda

If the check engine light is on, there is a touble codes stored in the computer. What I recommend is to take the vehicle to a nationally recognized parts store and have them scan the computer for codes. Most stores will do it for free, so there will be no mondy out of pocket. Also, the code they get will tell you why the light is on. As far as the cable, I doubt the light has anything to do with it.

LEt me know what you find or if you have other questions.