CHEVY DRIVE AXLE OR TRANSMISSION?

1996 Chevrolet Monte Carlo

1996 Chevy Monte Carlo V8 Front Wheel Drive Automatic 175000 miles

Heading down the highway there was a clunk sound, very much like I had ran over something in the road (I even checked the mirror). This was followed by a feeling of a flat, then the car jerked, and temp ran hot. There was some smoke when the hood was raised, no odor like with radiator or oil. Once the car cooled, it started fine (never stopped running actually). Placed it in drive and nothing, just sat there. It went through the gears just fine, no noise except a slight sound once it went from reverse into park and I almost thought perhaps it was linkage. I have noticed in the last couple of days that when started the temp gauge would go to around the midrange and the air blowing out would be cold. Gauge would go back to normal and the air would warm a bit more slowly than normal. No idea if that has anything to do with anything. There have also been a few minor vibrations that I attributed to low tire pressure and added air in the last week or so as well. Any help appreciated.
Zeppelin

One thing at a time. Does the engine run ok and not overheat? Is there coolant in it? When you put it in gear, there is no noise except the trans engaging? You could physically get under the car and see if the axles look damaged, but to know for sure you need to lift and support the car adn see if the axle moves when put in gear and if so, does the tire move (stay clear of all moving parts)

Jack42
The engine does run ok. Other than when the car actually broke down, no true overheating, and when started again and with the heat on, the temp leveled off to normal. Coolant is in the car. A friend did check the car out and states the axles are good, seems to him as if something in the tranny actually broke. He did mention as long as the head gasket didn't blow (and seems to me if after initial breakdown the car cooled when running with the heat on this would not be so (?)), It would be worth replacing the tranny. Haven't yet checked to see if there is any bubbling in the radiator, or gunk around the cap, as an indicator of head gasket (the only I personally know to do). He did recommend changing out the thermostat.

Zeppelin
Good idea as far as the t-stat goes. If the axles are good but it wont move, then he may be right with the trans being broken internally

Jack42
Thanks for your time and help! It really is greatly appreciated.

Zeppelin
My pleasure

Jack42