CHEVY SERVICE ENGINE SOON LIGHT

2000 Chevrolet Metro

2000 Chevy Metro Two Wheel Drive Manual 140000 miles

What are some of the common causes of the service engine soon light to come on? This is what happened, started the car this morning no problem, and started to drive. The car stalled and would not restart. The fuel pump is operating, the timing belt is in tact. Tried to restart the car and no luck. Once I got the car to start the check engine light came on. Started to drive the car again made it about 1/4 mile car then lost power with gas pedal pressed to the floor. Pulled the car off to the side, waited and tried to restart. Would not start immediately, but eventually did.
Billie.phillips

I am having the same exact problem with my 99 Chevy Metro. I can start the car and it will start up fine, but about 2 miles later the engine stalled out on me. I tried to start it again and the engine just cranked with no start. I called a friend to help me out and when he got there about 10min later it started right up with no problems. I put some dry gas in it thinking I had water in the tank. The next day I made it not even a mile before it stalled out. Did you ever find out what it was?

Parker09