CHEVY GRINDER!!

1998 Chevrolet Metro

1998 Chevy Metro 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 170000 miles

the tranny in my 98 geo metro, 4 door, auto, front wheel drive just popped and now does not move in any gear, it does however make a nice grinding noise.I dont know what the 2 parts of the tranny are called, bell housing and transfer case?
Millwright808

Hi there,

This sounds terminal, have the transmission removed & checked out, I would not try to run it as if the oil pump is still working you are sending metal shavings thought the transmission doing even more damage.

Mhpautos
Does a guy have to drop the engine to remove the tranny? Doesnt look like there is enough room to remove the spline.

Millwright808
Hi there, with the drive shafts removed and the engine transmission mounts removed the engine and trans drop down enough to remove the trans only, with an auto there is no input shaft like a manual, the torque converter bolts onto the drive plate so you only have to move the trans back just a small amount to be able to remove it.

Mhpautos