CHEVY CLICK

2006 Chevrolet Malibu

Steering problem
2006 Chevy Malibu 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 76000 miles

I am experiencing a single click when I turn the wheel somewhat sharply to the left, mainly when making left turns. I can feel it through the steering wheel when it occurs. I did the bounce shock test and they seem fine, no excessive springing or odd sounds.
MatthewH

Hi MatthewH. Welcome to the forum. Have a helper turn the steering wheel with the engine running while you feel the two front coil springs, (one at a time). Hold your fingers lightly around the highest coil you can reach without getting your fingers caught. You should feel a nice smooth rotation as your helper turns the wheel. If tension builds in one of the springs, then pops free and continues to turn, that upper strut mount is binding. That in itself is not serious, but if you have it replaced, the car will need an alignment.

Other possibilities include a tight ball joint, a worn inner tie rod end, a worn universal joint in the steering column, and the " clock spring" under the steering wheel. If the click is still there with the front end jacked up off the ground, suspect the clock spring. The other parts will have greatly reduced stress on them so the click should disappear.

You may need to resort to having the car inspected by a suspension and alignment expert if you can't identify the cause yourself.