CHEVY ENGINE RUNS ROUGH IN DRIVE....

2001 Chevrolet Malibu

2001 Chevy Malibu 6 cyl Automatic 88700 miles

My 2001 Malibu has been giving me a lot of problems lately. I took the car to a mechanic because when in park or neutral, the car seems to run ok. In reverse or drive, the car runs really rough. After having some diagnostics run on the car. Of course the mechanic came up with a list of items needing repair. After careful consideration, I decided to repair the car. I have had the following done in the last 4 months
1. Fuel pump
2. Ignition (passkey) replaced
3. Fuse box replaced
4. Lower intake gasket replaced
5. Temp. Guage and temp sensor replaced
6. Harmonic balancer replaced
7. Fuel injectors cleaned and o-rings replaced
8. Mass airflow cleaned
9. O2 sensor replaced
10. EGR valve replaced
11. PCV valve replaced
12. Serpentine belt replaced
the list goes on. And on.

The car still runs rough in drive. Any ideas?
Doodle62

Does it set a check engine light? Have you done a tune up on the vehicle

Rhall77
Check engine light is not on and yes, new spark plugs, plug wires, oil change, oil filter replaced, air filter changed, fuel filter and relay changed. I have spent around $3,500 in repairs and still. Same problem. I have noticed that when you park on a hill, the gear shifter is really tight to move. Also, when going up hills, there's a little hesitation. It almost feels like it's skipping. Now, when I say it feels like it is running rough, I mean sitting still, foot on brake with the gear in the drive position.

Doodle62
Have you had your fuel injectors flow rate checked

Rhall77
No, I have not. I am actually wondering if it's the fuel injectors that need to be replaced. When I took the car to the dealer to finish fixing it, they didn't check the flow. At least, I am not aware that they did. If I take it to someone, what do I need to tell them. I don't want to get suckered into paying for diagnostics that don't need to be done.

Doodle62
Its called an injector balance test. It shows the PSI difference between injectors when they are activated. In most cases, they can be cleaned and work fine after that.

Rhall77
The injectors were cleaned and the fuel rail was cleaned around 2 months ago. It's worse now than before I had all the work done.

Doodle62
Do you know what code is being set.

Rhall77
I do not. I didn't mention earlier that my car has a brand new computer in it too. I have spent so much money that I am upside down in this car. I've spent more than what it's worth.

I just want it fixed. Know what I mean? If it's not the injectors, do you have any other ideas?

Doodle62
To me it sounds like a possible wiring problem. Check your old paper work from your repairs and see if there is a trouble code listed. If not when the check engine light is on, stop at autozone or you local parts store and see if they can hook a scan tool to it and get the code and get back to me

Rhall77
That is the problem, the check engine light does not come on. Nothing for them to scan

Doodle62
Page 1 of 2