CHEVY CAR WON'T START AFTER LOWER MANIFOLD REPL

2000 Chevrolet Malibu

Engine problem
2000 Chevy Malibu 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 115000 miles

I just replaced the lower intake manifold on my 2000 Chevy Malibu with the 3.1 V6. When I was trying to torque the pushrods down my torque wrench bit it and I had to just go by a guess. My main question is, what is the torque setting for the rocker arms and do these rocker arms need to be adjusted or no? I'm thinking the valves may be too tight and not allowing it to start.

I've done a compression check and I get between 145-160 on all cylinders. The motor will turn over easily and if I let it cycle over about 5 times it will kind of make a backfire sound, but sounds more like it is coming from the intake rather than exhaust. Any tips are greatly appreciated.

Jason
2000malibu

Start by making sure you have the right firing order
also did you remember that you have small and long push rods and you installed them where they should go
let me know
if you need the firing order
good luck

BMRFIXIT
Hey, thanks for the response.

I did put the pushrods back in correctly, but I had misread the manual for the torquing. I had torqued over 100 FT/lb rather than the 168 IN/lb.

So, I've taken out the pushrods and nothing is bent, about to replace everything and retighten to 14 FT/lb which is 168 IN/lb.

I'll let you know if it works!

2000malibu
Lucky lucky you didn t break them bolts
yap let me know
also firing order check it
and if all ok try to hold gas pedal 1/3 the way down and try to start
it will run rough for the 1st few minutes but it will adjust after

BMRFIXIT
Well, got the rocker arms re-torqued correctly and everything put back together and she still won't start. Firing order is correct but it is pouring rain and the coil pack contacts and spark plug wire boots did get a little wet. Maybe this is part of my reason now.

2000malibu
This is what I was thimking

you drained the oil out of the lifters and you need to crank it bit longer to builds up pressure
for it to fire up
also dry wires always help

BMRFIXIT
Well, she finally started! There was just so much moisture in the cylinders and on the ignition components from all the rain and snow we've gotten here in Michigan over the past week.

Now it's just making a loud heavy ticking noise which I'm assuming is probably just the lifters pumping back up?

Thanks!
Jason

2000malibu
Great !
Let it idle for a few
don t try to give it gas
after it will smooth out
by the way you changed the oil and filter I hope
if not do it

BMRFIXIT
Yup, changed the oil right after she started running again and the filter as well.

Thanks!

2000malibu
Hi guys I have the same issue about a week ago I have replaced the lower cylinder head gasket after installing every thing at the same place where it came but the engine crank wont start, I had drained the oil before one week to installing the new head gasket. Will you help me plz I am stuck : ( : '(.

X33
3.1 V6 malibu 2000 : (

X33