INTERIOR LIGHTS WONT TURN OFF

Chevrolet Impala

I HAVE A 1997 MERCURY SABLE, WHEN YOU EXIT THE CAR AND LOCK IT THE INTERIOR LIGHTS USE TO FADE TO BLACK AFTER 30 SECONDS, NOW THEY STAY ON ALL THE TIME. PLEASE HELP
Woodman

Check all the door switches and make sure they are all able to push in manuely. Sometimes they go bad. Or a wire behind them disconnects. If thats not the problem them you must look further. You may have a broken wire which is grounding out and causeing the lights to stay on.

Dj-taino
We're having the same problem with a 1999 Ford Ranger. But I cannot find any switch or device on the door that controls the interior light. All of my other vehicles has a pin or something that pushes in when the door is closed, that indicates that the door is closed. Nothing on this door (or on the passenger side door).
What normally causes this function to work?

DrPete
I have the same problem with the lights staying on. I'm trying to troubleshoot the problem by trying to remove the headlight switch from the dash, but I can't figure out how to remove the knob. I understand there is typically a button that I need to push, but I can't see it or reach it so I can remove the covering around the instrument panel to get the switch out.

Does anyone have any info on how to remove the instrument panel enought to get to the headlight knob release button?

Jim

Jsr1769
I don't know if this will work with a Mercury, but it worked with my Ranger. Spray WD40 into the door jam, on the latch For some reason, that seems to lube up whatever isn't connecting, and the light goes off. Hope it helps!

Julie Lohr
Thanks for the help. This has been an intermittent problem, but more persistant lately. It mysteriously started working correctly yesterday. We did the WD-40 trick anyway, and will have to wait to see if it works.

DrPete