ENGINE IDLE

Chevrolet Impala

I have a 1963 chevy impala, I just put a 350 engine and converted the distributor points with an Accel points eliminator conversion kit part 2010. I have ahard time getting the engine to idle correctly. Some tell me that it might be my harmonic balancer that is slipping and making it hard to get the timing done correctly. But their is something that I noticed that does not seem right. When I have the car on an I disconnect the battery, the car idles alot higher and this may be the correct idle. My question is what causes the engine to idle like that? Could it be my Voltage regulator? I have a 1970 chevy truck with a 350 and this does not occur to my truck.
Eddie63

Was the car running correctly before you did the points conversion?

Indyuke
If you have a 1973 350 engine as an example and disconnect the battery the voltage I believe will drop and the anti stall solinoid at carb will push throttle open more and cause idle to increase. What is the engine idle too low too high lean drop carb mixture adj. Etc. Etc?

J cat