CHEVY COOLANT LEAKING

2008 Chevrolet Impala

Engine Cooling problem
2008 Chevy Impala 6 cyl All Wheel Drive Automatic 38,000 miles

Background: Purchased used 2008 Chevy Impala in August 2009 w/ approx. 25k miles.

Currently at 38k miles.

Having a problem with leaking coolant. It appears to be a slow leak in that we replaced fluid 2-3 weeks ago and only just now had the warning come on the dashboard " Engine hot, turn off AC, idle engine".

We're just 2k miles over the " general" warranty.

Trying to figure out what might be causing the problem and how much we can expect to pay best/worst case scenario based on what the problem might be.

We took it to a family friend who is a mechanic for just a quick look over and he seemed to think more than likely it was a gasket issue and not the pump because he couldn't see anything leaking from the pump.

I want to go into the dealership with as much knowledge as possible so I'm not taken for a ride. Coolant leak seems odd under 40k miles but I'm definitely not a car expert.

So, to the point.

1) Whats the best/worst case scenario?
2) What can I expect to pay?
3) Are there any recalls or TSBs I should be aware of? Tried googling but to no avail.

Thanks so much!
Kfelux

Hi
There was a TSB issued 08-06-01-012A Date NOV. 19, 2008 concerning coolant leak caused by head bolts. Have you seen coolant oin oil? White smoke from exhaust in A.M. Start up? Spots on driveway?
Hope this helps
Thanks for donate

Docfixit
Thank you for your response!

I didnt think to check the oil but I will when I get home in about 3 hours. Will follow up with that info once I check.

I haven't noticed any white smoke exhaust at all. AM or PM and no spots on the driveway either. That's what has been so peculiar.

Since there was a TSB do you think that will help bring the repair costs down?

Thanks again!

Kfelux
If it turns out to be head bolts/headgasket it is covered under warranty so good chance they will cover. If they won't call GM 800 number in owners manual or E-mail also can ask area service manager to review.
Good Luck Hope it goes your way

Docfixit