GETTING AIR IN THE COOLING SYSTEM

2004 Chevrolet Impala

Is there anything known about a 2004 Impala's (3.4 I think with 70000 miles) cooling system getting air in it? My gage starts rising when I stop and then goes back down upon driving. I had the radiator flushed and it worked good for about a month but I kept smelling coolant outside the car around the doors. A few days ago, it went back up to 215 degrees. I took it in to a different place and the mechanic said there was air in the system and whoever flushed it didn't bleed the air out. I don't think this is right because it was doing this before it was flushed. I think air is getting into the cooling system somehow. Right now it is fine, but I still smell coolant and there is no visible coolant leaking. Where could the smell be coming from and how is air getting in the cooling system?

Someone told me it could be the heater core. The floor isn't wet and I'm not losing coolant.

I took it back in to the first mechanic on Saturday and he said that they did bleed the air out, but there was a little air in it. This was 2 days after the other mechanic bled it out.

When the radiator was flushed, there was gunk in it. I have heard some horror stories about the Dex-cool damaging gaskets but I was thinking that GM corrected this problem on the newer model cars. This mechanic replaced the coolant with a uiversal brand.

Is the head gaskets causing this problem? I haven't noticed any steam coming from my tail pipe.

Any help would be appreciated greatly!
Dawnyday

Tou're in the mileage area when intake manifold gaskets go bad. Very common. You may be losing coolant very slowly to the exterior of the motor and it may be burning off before you see any accumulation. These intakes were poorly designed and the dex-cool has nothing to do with the problem. It does not eat gaskets. This is a myth.

The intake may leak internally or externally. Coolant may enter the combustion chamber, the crankcase and or go to the outside of the motor.

Thank you for the quick response. I was afraid that would be the answer. Should I get a pressure check done or an emission gas check? I know nothing about cars but read these things online and I just don't want to look completely ignorant when I take it in.

(I removed the reference to the LT1.I really don't know what I'm talking about! ? : ) )

Dawnyday
Your learning as we all are, that is to be commended!

Emission check it much different.

You need to explain to the shop what is happening and let them diagnose it. You need to find a good independent shop that is good and stick with them. Ask someone you trust for the shop they use, or I can help steer you to one. Hopefully.

There are different ways of diagnosing this, first is a visual look around the head to manifold area, and you are right, the coolant pressure test would b the next step. IT may or may not get more involved.

Would you recommend any kind of stop leak?

Dawnyday
Absolutley not, as a matter of fact, I wouldn't put this issue off as it may esculate quickly in a more serious problem if this isn't nipped in the bud. If it is the intake gasket going bad.

Thank you so much. I will get the pressure tested.

Dawnyday
My pleasure. Please follow up as things progress.